With its emphasis on oil-fried foods, the culinary traditions of Chanukah are delicious but definitely not nutritious. Of course, in moderation, even the most mouth-watering Chanukah treat can be enjoyed at least once during the eight-day holiday.
While sufganiyot are the traditional Chanukah food in Israel, latkes -- friend potato pancakes -- are what most Americans, Europeans and others associate with the Jewish festival of lights. Here are two delicious latkes recipes: The first is for traditional potato pancakes and the second is for a tasty (and slightly heart-healthier) version that blends zucchini, carrots and sweet potato. Whichever recipe you try, be sure to serve your latkes with homemade applesauce or sour cream (low-fat is okay) for a sinful Chanukah meal.
Traditional Potato Pancakes (Latkes)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or baking potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons of flour or matzah meal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel the potatoes and put them in cold water. Using a food processor (or a grater, if you are a gluten for punishment), coarsely grate the potatoes and onions.
2. Place together in a fine-mesh strainer to squeeze out water.
3. Mix the potato and onion with the flour.
4. Add the egg and salt and pepper.
5. Heat a griddle or non-stick pan with at least one-inch of vegetable oil.
6. Drop around 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture into the pan. After a few seconds, flatten the mound with the back of spatula.
7. Fry for a few minutes until golden. Flip the latke over and brown the other side.
8. Remove to paper towels to drain.
9. Serve immediately or keep warm (and crispy) in a 250 degree oven.
B'teavon! (Bon Appetite in Hebrew)
Sweet Potato Pancakes
The Maccabees | The Menorah | Lighting Menorah | Menorah Prayer | G-d! What's up? | The Dreidel & Gelt
Game: Dreidel Spin | Latkes & Sufganiyot | Recipe: Latkes | Recipe: Sufganiyot | Chanukah Recipes
Spelling Chanukah | Chanukah Videos Chanukah Stamp | Chanukah Blog | Holiday Shopping Tips
Presidential Messages | Craft: Dreidel | Craft: Menorah | Chanukah Crafts | Chanukah Color Pix
Chanukah eCards | Newsletter/Text Msg | Advertise With Us | Link to Us | Contact Us
Site Map | Chanukah Home
© Copyright 1995-2015, Holidays on the Net
Reproduction or other use without written consent is illegal