1569/70 Bible & Holy Scriptures, Old & New Testaments, Second Quarto Geneva Ed. For Sale1569/70 BIBLE & HOLY SCRIPTURES, OLD & NEW TESTAMENTS, SECOND QUARTO GENEVA ED. The Bible and Holy Scriptures conteyned in the Olde and Newe Testament. Translated according to the Ebrue and Greke, and conferred vvith the best translations in diuers langages. With moste profitable annotations vpon all the hard places, and other things of great importanc as may appeare in the epistle to the reader.At Geneua : Printed by Iohn Crispin,1569/70
Selling here is a substantial portion of the second quarto edition of the Geneva bible in English, published in Geneva by John Crispin. Printed in English in Roman type and in double columns, with a number of large woodcut illustrations / maps. Our copy lacks the Old Testament titlepage, though New Testament and Book of Psalms title pages are dated 1568 - Herbert notes that some copies are dated 1569.
4to, bound in worn period calf with three of the original metal corner pieces remaining, as well as the two closures on the lower board.
The book measures 15cm by 21cm.
The ESTC collation for this work reads: , 388, 387-410; 94, ; 129, ; , 82,  leaves,  folded plates. Our copy lacks 182leaves in total and 4 maps;the first 32 leaves including the title leaf (sigs3*4 a-c4, d-e8). The Apocrypha is lacking in full: 100 leaves sigs a4b-n8 (pp 94, ), and the final 50 leaves of the 'Whole Booke of Psalmes' (i.e sigs NNN-YYY4, ZZZZ; [par]8.).
The remainder of the text present is highly irregular in pagination but catchwords and register are continuous. Aseperate dated title for the 'Newe Testament...1568 is present. 1 map of 5 is retained in the Old Testament. Our foliation reads: 29-388, 387-410, 129, ff.
This is one of a number of antiquarian books we are listing today, please View My Other Items For Sale
Condition: The binding is extensively rubbed and scuffed, the spine cocked inwards, both hinges cracked and held by a cord or two, edges of the boards heavily abraded. Text block is holding firmly in the main, a few gatherings working proud and resultantly creased / browned to edges, with foreedge curved outward in response to the curious deformation of the spine, contents toned / browned and with some general dustmarking and fingersoiling, heavier at points. Edges are rounded throughout, more dogeared to first and final few gatherings. First few leaves present in Old Testament notably ragged and creased, some more notable damp marking to lower third of first seven or so gatherings: double page map ragged and torn, largely split up centre fold: lower corner of Psalms titlepage torn away, loss almost touching into imprint: final few leaves present in Psalms creased, the last a little ragged. Some 18th century addition in ink to NT titlepage.
An opportunity to acquire a rare early English Geneva bible, for sale WITHOUT RESERVE. Despite our best efforts to accurately collate and summarise condition issues, we are selling this volume with all faults.
THIS IS A HEAVY BOOK AT 1.5KG PACKED: prices automatically quoted are for tracked / insured courier airmail. Other (cheaper) options may be available according to destination, we will always help if we can. Please study the pictures carefully and feel free to ask any questions.
We accept the following methods of payment:
- £ Sterling cheques ONLY, made payable to B Chiari Antiquarian Books Ltd
- Money/Postal order in £ Sterling
- Bank transfer
We ship worldwide
- We endeavour to send all packages at or under cost. All books are now sent via a recorded service to ensure they reach you.
- As we sale all our books from £4.99 without reserve, it is not viable for us to offer free domestic postage at Worthydownbooks, though we continue to offer this at our sister site Worthydownbookstore.
- We will ensure that all items sold are packed and distributed securely and professionally. We will respond to any comments or queries as quickly as possible. When possible we always combine postage on multiple items purchased. Prices charged will depend on combined weight and size after being securely packed. Items up to 2kg and a maximum size of 90cms (hxwxd) and no longer than 60cms can be sent via Royal Mail. Larger than this items have to be sent via courier service.
- We offer a multi-ship service and can hold items until larger consignments can be sent. This helps reduce postage costs greatly, especially for overseas buyers. If buying more than one item, please allow us to invoice you before paying as we will combine the items to give you the cheapest Royal Mail 1st class Recorded or international service price.
- Thank you for your business, we value all our customer's and their feed back.
- We are more than happy to offer a full money back refund if the goods you have purchased are not as described. Customer satisfaction is our priority.
If at any stage of your transaction you would like to contact us please email us on email@example.com
This item has been shown 0 times.