2012 Proof Set (with Proof '200th Anniversary Of War Of 1812' Silver $) (12935)
This item has been shown 53 times.
2012 Proof Set (with Proof '200th Anniversary Of War Of 1812' Silver $) (12935):
2012 SILVER DOLLAR PROOF SET – 200TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE WAR OF 1812
***These certificates may be damaged due to the plastic protectors on these cases***
Building unity – the seeds of a nation
For Canadians, the War of 1812 conjures a rich historical moment steeped in both fact and myth, full of heroes, villains, disastrous defeats, and glorious victories. While the conflict did not predestine the emergence of Canada as a nation, outcomes like the sustained sovereignty of British North America and the collaborative experience of resisting American forces would eventually help to feed Canada’s transition from British colony to dominion to independent nation.
English and French Canadian colonists and First Nations alike recognized that American invasion threatened their own independence and way of life. They had good reason to fret: the United States continued to expand relentlessly south and westward throughout the nineteenth century.
The war was hard fought on both sides for two more years, over which time some of Canada’s proudest moments arose. The hard lessons learned in the War of 1812 further strengthened the physical and economic ties between Upper and Lower Canada, driving greater colonial unity. More viscerally, the conflict spawned shared stories and heroes that represent a common thread in the histories of all of Canada’s founding peoples.
- New for 2012: The entire Proof Set is struck in solid alloys, including 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢ coins in nickel, the penny in copper, the 1$ coin in brass, and the $2 coin comprised of both nickel and brass.
- Includes a 99.99 % pure silver Proof Dollar.
- Intricate detailing on the proof dollar depicting a British sergeant, a Voltigeur Canadien, and an Iroquois warrior in historically accurate uniform approaching the invader with unity of purpose to defend the border and colonies they represent.
- Encircling the design of the Proof Dollar are 200 finely struck beads symbolizing the 200th Anniversary of the War of 1812.
- A highly collectible set that commemorates the bicentennial of a pivotal moment in Canadian colonial history.
- A beautiful way to preserve, celebrate, and learn about Canadians’ rich shared history and the seeds of Canadian unity and identity.
- An iconic depiction of Canadian history and culture that fits beautifully into any historical or international collection.
- Mintage: 40,000
- Finish: Proof
- Certificate: Serialized
- Artist: Ardell Bourgeois*
Face ValueCompositionWeight (g)Diameter (mm)EdgeProof Dollar*99.99% pure silver23.1736.07Reeded2 dollarsNickel with brass inner core9.028.0Interrupted serrations1 dollarBrass7.926.5011-sided50 centsNickel9.2327.13Reeded25 centsNickel6.023.88Reeded10 centsNickel2.4518.05Reeded5 centsNickel5.4021.20Plain1 centCopper2.9419.1Plain
- CD lens concept with maroon outer cover and black set-up box.
- Proof Silver Dollar encapsulated and presented in a maroon clamshell case lined with flock, accompanied by a serialized certificate and protected by a black sleeve. Total combined Proof Dollar mintage is 80,000.
Advertising Date: January 17, 2012
Launch Date: April 16, 2012