Vintage Authentic Greek Hyrda Fisherman's Cap Hat - John Lennon Style - Hippie For SaleVintage Authentic Greek Fisherman's CAP HAT - Excellent condition Greece Hydra
- Excellent pre-worn condition - see all pictures - no holes tears, etc
- Pen mark hand written number 60 in center inside hat on red satin liner - see picture)
- No tag - measured Size approx 7 3/4 (L/XL)
- Made in Greece
- Hat is blue , Red satin liner/ leather sweatband
- Markings in hat as seen in picture - HYDRA HAT MADE IN GREECE
- 7 Pictures
HISTORY OF THE GREEK FISHERMAN HAT:
Peak Popularity: late 1800s-1970s
The first Greek fisherman hat was made in 1886 in Athens, Greece. It is often associated with seamanship and marine situations and has become a part of the uniforms of many sea captains and seamen. It is much more of a cap as it has only a visor instead of an encircling brim and tends to have a loosely peaked crown. The more traditional fisherman’s will have a braid between visor and the crown. Manyweremade on the Greece Island by the name of Hydra.
The fisherman has become popular amongst the public in general, rather than staying isolated as an occupational hat. John Lennon made the fisherman an extremely popular hat in the 1960s - so much so that it became known as the “John Lennon hat”.
This item has been shown 0 times.