1947 New York Brooklyn Mack Bus Cloth Roll Sign Myrtle Av Richmond Hill Jamaica For Sale
- If you're interested, please make us an offer - every one will be carefully considered!
- You are offerding on a unique, antique New York City Brooklyn bus rollsign from either a 1600 or 1900 series Mack bus.
- These buses were built between 1947 and 1949. Therefore, these signs were printed around the same time.
- This sign is made of a high-gloss, thick, paper-like material. It is in excellent condition, with a minimal amount of grime. Due to the fragile nature of the material, we strongly recommend that the winning buyer NOT attempt to clean this sign. The material is a bit wavy because of how it was stored. However, it will definitely flatten out under glass, or if given a little bit of weight.
- There are a series of small holes that run down both vertical edges of the sign. Originally, there was a copper strip behind these holes to help the sign remain aligned inside its mechanism. However, this copper has been removed before we got our hands on this sign.
- The sign has a black background with cream lettering.
- At one time, all surface transit in Brooklyn was operated by rail - either trolleys or rapid transit - by the Brooklyn Rapid Transit company. In 1923, the Broolyn-Manhattan Transit company emerged from the rubble of the BRT's bankruptcy to operate the subways and trolleys in Brooklyn.
- In 1940, the City of New York took control of all transit operations in the city. Once this occurred, the removal of rail service in favor of buses began to accelerate.
- The Mack buses that this sign came from were some of the first to be built for the city by that company.
- These buses had two signs overtop of the front window - one to indicate the route and the other to indicate the destination. This sign section was part of the route sign.
Item shipped for free via USPS Priority Mail to anywhere in the United States. Foreign buyers to pay actual shipping charges. Please check out our other sales for great subway items, like DVDs and other signs. Thanks for looking and good luck!
This item has been shown 0 times.